Struck by Lightning (2012)
Average Rating: 4.8/10
Reviews Counted: 28
Fresh: 8 | Rotten: 20
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 4.5/10
Critic Reviews: 14
Fresh: 2 | Rotten: 12
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.4/5
User Ratings: 9,086
High school senior Carson Phillips (Chris Colfer, "Glee") was on a path to greatness, when he was suddenly killed by a bolt of lightning in his school parking lot. Carson recounts the last few weeks of his life via witty, insightful flashbacks, including a blackmail scheme targeting the popular kids concocted with his best friend (Rebel Wilson, BRIDESMAIDS) and a home life that includes a mother (Allison Janney, JUNO, "The West Wing") 's more interested in the bottle than her son's future and an
Jan 11, 2013 Limited
May 21, 2013
Tribeca Film - Official Site
Watch It Now
Neal, Neal Phillips
Sheryl, Sheryl Phill...
Claire, Claire Mathe...
Malerie, Malerie Bag...
Vicki, Vicki Jordan
Dwayne, Dwayne Micha...
Remy, Remy Baker
Scott, Scott Thomas
Justin, Justin Walke...
Nicholas, Nicholas F...
Donna Ann Ward
First Grade Teacher
Celibacy Club Girl
Jason Michael Berman
Brad William Henke
Principal, The Princ...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Colfer is still very young, but he needs to learn that "snide" is not a point of view.
Ultimately, it all portends a much brighter future for Colfer than for Carson.
If only "Struck by Lightning" had a sharper, stronger perspective, it might have made more of its conceit.
Except for Ms. Janney's monstrous mother and an Alzheimer's-afflicted grandmother (Polly Bergen), "Struck by Lightning" gives its characters no dimension.
There isn't much to say about Struck by Lightning, except that it's one of those interchangeable teen movies that lands in theaters in early January, the morgue for films nobody knows what to do with.
In his screenwriting debut, Glee's gifted Chris Colfer, 22, proves he can lace a line with sass and soul.
This is a highly confused film that doesn't seem to know exactly what it wants to be.
Likeable, frequently funny comedy enlivened by snappy dialogue and strong performances from a superb comic cast, though the overall plot is weak and the opening conceit referenced in the title fails to convey any dramatic or emotional weight.
There are some nice spins on old high school clichés and enough off-center characters and good, occasionally great, dialogue that should make this one of the year's early hits in the art house market.
Struck By Lightning possesses a jarring mixture of tones, with moments of dark comedy sitting somewhat uneasily alongside scenes of quiet domestic drama.
It's not exactly ambitious, but Struck by Lightning is a noble failure, with individual elements more interesting than the strangled, distracted whole.
Lightning is a funny, fast-moving movie, packed with barbed one-liners, goofy hyperbole, and all the oversized exasperation of teen angst. But it's too acid, particularly where Colfer is concerned.
Audience Reviews for Struck by Lightning
- Grandma: Sometimes a personal rain cloud, can be deadly.
- Malerie Baggs: Carson, Are we friends?
- Carson Phillips: I think we're best friends, Malerie.
- Malerie Baggs: Cool.
- Claire Mathews: Oh Carson, you always thought you were so much better than us because we all couldn't stand you but get ready for pure hatred coming your way because as soon as the rest of the school finds out about this and they tell their parents, the entire town will actually hate you!
- Carson Phillips: ALRIGHT, ENOUGH! ALRIGHT!? I didn't just stand up for myself in there, I was standing up for all of you! The minute you guys walked onto this campus, you were labelled as high school royalty and you would rather maintain that label then heaven forbid stand up for yourselves! But high school ends! And for your sakes, I hope you guys aren't the walking cliches everyone thinks you are 'cause life is going to walk all over you - it's going to bite you in the ass!
- April: Your dad tells me you're quite popular at school.
- Carson Phillips: Why is it that some people are selfish by nature and others have to be selfish just to survive?
- Carson Phillips: And then it suddenly came to me. I had one more story to add.
Discuss Struck by Lightning on our Movie forum!
Latest News on Struck by Lightning
January 10, 2013:Critics Consensus: Gangster Squad Is Style Over Substance
This week at the movies, we've got tough cops (Gangster Squad, starring Sean Penn and Ryan Gosling),...